SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:47:26 +0200
Hello,

I installed many SL302 using PXE on dual-opteron machines (i386).
I never met troubles (it is v20z dual-opteron, and e325 IBM dual-opteron).

I'm now trying to install SL302 i386 on a dual-opteron (motherboard
Rioworks HDAMA, with BIOS up-to-date).
The installation using PXE failed after vmlinuz/initrd loading with
the error message "Failed to free base memory".
I then try to install using the 1st CD of the SL302, with the boot option
"text ks" at the prompt.
In this case the kernel starts well, and download well the kickstart file
given by the DHCP option (the file is good). It then mounts the NFS
repository for the SL302-i386 (confirmed by the console messages)
but claimed that the /mnt/sources/.../Stage2.img does not match the
current version.

So what ?

My questions are:
- why the PXE vmlinuz/initrd failed to start ?
- if the CD kernel boots, it means that the PXE one is not the same ?
- why does anaconda complains about the different version between
Stage2 and current version ? The SL302-i386 repository was build
using the ISO images of the SL302, so I do not understand why
versions are differents...

Anyone can help me ?

BTW, I'm always able to make a CD installation and then tune the
system, but as all is defined in the kickstart file, it will generate many
operations...

Any help will be appreaciated.

Regards,
--