SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:27:05 -0500
Hi Alan,
If you used yum to do the upgrade ... yum doesn't remove things unless
they have been obsoleted, so it would be strange for the rpm's to just
dissapear.  Can you send the following

   rpm -qa | grep kernel
   rpm -qa | grep header
   uname -a

That should show whether things are still installed.
It's also possible that you're ticking something that got changed
between kernels.  We had to do some tweeking for the x86_64 openafs
kernel module on S.L. 3.0.3.

Troy

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> I have a system which was upgraded from SL301 to SL302 by following
> the procedure at
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade
>
> Prior to the upgrade, the system had the kernel development RPMs
> installed.
>
> I now find that I can't do kernel development nor build kernel modules
> on this.  The symptoms are lots of errors about symbols being
> redefined or undefined.
>
> I haven't looked too closely into this yet.  Just thought I'd try a
> quick query as to whether this really is a consequence of having
> followed the upgrade procedure, or whether I should be looking for
> some other cause?

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468