SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:43:58 +0200
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

>Hi
>
>On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 10:57, Perret Yannick wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm still playing with installation of i386 libs over a
>>x86_64 SL (3.02).
>>(...)
>>

>>How does this situation is handled on RHEL3 ?
>>

>As far as I can see the installer (anaconda) installs
>32bit versions first, then 64bit ones.
>
>As for the updates I would guess up2date behaves in similar way
>(and then 32bit/64bit updates are coordinated ?) -
>we do not run x86_64 RHEL3 here ... so this is just a
>guess...

Hum... yes. Not a bad idea...
But I failed to install the x86_64 kernel over a i386 installation.
So I think the installation stage should be somethnig like:
- install minimal x86_64 system (kernel + glibc)
- install all the corresponding i386 stuff
- install all the corresponding x86_64 stuff

>>By the way, I made a little script that extract all
>>the libs from the i386 RPMs and install them
>>properly on the x86_64 system. The result is fine
>>(all the i386 binaries I tried work well and found
>>all the needed i386 libs).
>>It is a "proof of concept", but it is an 'ugly' way to
>>do the things as these i386 libs are not referenced
>>by 'rpm' database and so will not be updatable
>>(instead by the hand).
>>

>But this script could be used to provide a package
>(set of packages) providing 32bit compatibility ..
>(can we have a copy, please ?)

Yes. I will send it later, after removing ugly shortcups in it :o)

>>We are not using yum, but in my memory, it was
>>possible with 'rpm' on RHEL3...
>>

>But on 64bit RHEL3 you have all needed 32bit libs
>after initial install: have you tried to update these
>later ?

Well, I found that RHEL3 "forget" several i386 RPMs, even if the
x86_64 version is installed (this situation generates several problems
before we identify the installation limits).
I never tried i386 updates, so I don't know if they are well handled.

By the way the missing i386 elements may be due to the fact that
sometime the i386 version of a package is not the same than the x86_64...

Examples:
acpid exists in x86_64 but not in i386, nedit is only 5.4-1 in i386
but 5.3-4 in x86_64...
Maybe these particular rpms are in updates... I do not update my
RPMs for a long time...