SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:05:19 +0100
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> We (CERN) do already have ALSA rpms for SL which we use
> for our SL variant (SLC) - and we would be happy to
> contribute these.

Thank you!

> You may want to test them on your setup,
>
> download from:
>
> http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc302/i386/extras/RPMS/
>
> (packages alsa*)
>
> then you'll need matching kernel module(s) which you can build from:
>
> http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc302/i386/extras/SRPMS/alsa-driver-1.0.4-1.1.cern.src.rpm
>
> as this:
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild alsa-driver...src.rpm \
>          --define "kernel `uname -r`" --target i686

OK, that was a rather noisy complication (large number of warnings
about redefinitions, for example), but it must have been successful.

Binary RPMs were found in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686
(alsa-driver...i686.rpm and kernel-module-alsa...i686.rpm),
and installed.

> after installing resulting kernel-module-alsa-... packages

Right, and then I installed the alsa-* binary RPMs which had been
retrieved from http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc302/i386/extras/RPMS/

> the setup shall be completed by running /usr/sbin/alsaconf

Yes; this complained that it couldn't find rcalsasound, but it
completed OK, and Gnomemeeting seems very happy with the results.

This was on a machine which I had never tried installing alsa
before, by any method.

> PS: The above mentioned directory also contains few more
>     packages which could be useful to others (atheros
>     wi-fi driver - 'madwifi' ... etc)

It's funny that you should mention that.  It appears to be something
that I was going to look for next!!!

Thank you for your help