SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:07:31 +0100
As I read around the topic of audio, it all seems to point to the
preferred audio solution being ALSA.  Indeed it seems to be
practically a requirement for some videoconferencing software such as
Gnomemeeting.

http://www.alsa-project.org/

I've had some reasonable success on various one-off attempts (on
different machines at different times) to download the then-current
ALSA sources and build them.  But the procedure seems quite messy, not
really suitable for general deployment in that form across a bunch of
managed desktops and/or laptops; I didn't find any materials for
building suitable RPMs (and I lack the skills to start on that myself,
at least without help and guidance).

Does the SL team have any plans along these lines, please?  Whatever
may be happening in the underlying RH product, I have the impression
that a convenient way of installing ALSA would be welcome to our
community (do others have a view on that?).

best regards