SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:13:52 +0200
Hello,

we have new machines which are dual-opterons.
For compatibility reasons we first install i386
SL302 on these machines, and it work fine.

Now I'm trying to install a 64 bits version on
one of these machines, to make tests... and kickstart
failed.

I'm using PXE and the kernel and the initrd are well
loaded, the kernel boot without problems, but two
modules failed to be loaded... the ones for the SCSI
disks. So of course kickstart complains about that and
stop the installation.

Modules are MPT ones. Here is a part of the module
list loaded on a i386 machine (which are well loaded
by the PXE kernel in the i386 version):
(...)
mptscsih               41140  19
mptbase                44224   3 [mptscsih]
sd_mod                 13648  38
scsi_mod              114728   2 [mptscsih sd_mod]
(...)

On the log console I can see the 'insmod' complaining
about unresolved symbols in the kernel. Most of
the start with "mpt_" so I suppose that something
is missing in the kernel configuration.

Any idea ?
Is there a documented way to get, modify and rebuild
the kernel/initrd for the PXE boot so that this problem
will be over ?
Or maybe it is an other problem.

Please let me know (of course I'm ready to make these
build myself and to give back the corrected version if
it can help anyone).

Thank in advance.
Regards,
--