SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:12:07 -0500
Jean-Michel,

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First : thanks to the people making SL available. This is very
> good job !
>
> I would like to ask a very general question :
>
> Could you describe the whole process of making updates available for
> Scientific Linux.
>
> - what is the starting point :

I assume by vulnerability you mean a security vulnerability.

>    a) a vulnerability is discovered but no RedHat SRPM yet

We wait for the SRPM from RedHat.  It is normally posted to the RedHat ftp
server within a day of it going to rhn.

>    b) RedHat publish a SRPM to address a vulnerability
>    Where do you start ?

I rebuild the i386 and x86_64 security errata RPMS and Jarek does the ia64
ones.  If either of us are not available then others are tasked with this.

> - what is done then, by who and what is the typical/maximum delay
>    until the update is available to yum ?

I will normally put the rebuilt RPMS on ftp.scientificlinux.org within 2
business days of the release of the SRPM.  There is no maximum delay
stated.  Typical is next day, with many the same day.

With the release of the "plone collaboration server" I hope to be able to
have other available to help with this task.

Note that there are other groups doing rebuilds of RedHat errata.  If some
errata that is "really needed" is not available from us then it could
possibly be available from one these other rebuilds.  Plus it is not very
hard to rebuild these SRPMS.  Most just require a "rpmbuild --rebuild
<SRPM name>" to rebuild.  So one could do it themselves if needed.

> > Not to stress the team in charge for this but just to know since,
> as a computer and network manager, the service we provide to our users
> depend on it.
>
> Jean-Michel BARBET.
>
> --
> Jean-michel BARBET                    | Tel: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 86
> Laboratoire SUBATECH Nantes France    | Fax: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 79
> CNRS-IN2P3/Ecole des Mines/Universite | E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

-Connie Sieh