SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:23:34 +0100
> Jon mentioned putting an epoch on the 30rolling rpm would always make it
> install ahead of the 303 release, but I really don't want to do that.
> The yum-conf-30rolling rpm is only used for a couple of weeks until the
> release settles down.  Once you put an epoch, or something artificial
> into an rpm, then you always have to have it in, and it really is not
> worth the hassle that it brings.

Indeed.  Having the released versions alwasy be considered "newer"
than 30rolling is probably no bad thing since that is only a test
version anyway so you probably don't want people to upgrade to it by
accident (thinking it is a newer stable release for example!)

Having to bump the epoch every time there is a release would be mildly
annoying (to say the least!)

 -- Jon