SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:43:14 -0500
Hello,
Thanks for your reponse.

Laurent Aphecetche wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:41:59 -0500, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Though I'm fresh new to SL (I've not even installed it on my laptop, yet ;-)
>   I'm currently running an FC1), here are some comments to the SL web site,
> probably falling under the category "documentation".
>
> Would be nice to have a list of RPM availables for the releases, together
> with their text header you get by rpm -qi, and possibly also whether they
> are installed by default or not, depending on the chosen installation
> method. Having a rough idea on the disc space needed for installation would
> also help. With the plone power, that would probably be a matter of little
> python script(s).

It sounds like we have another volunteer. :)
Please note that the Plone web server has no connection other than ftp
to the distribution server.  So, this makes scripts like what you are
talking about trickier.
I personally think the text header for each rpm is overkill, but like
the idea of what is installed by default.  But if you have workable
scripts, and examples for all this I'd like to see it.

> Concerning plone products, maybe a board would be helpfull (cmfboard?)

We had thought of that.  Myself, I'm not really a forum person.  In your
opinion which is the best plone forum module.
Can you also send the link to where it can be found, along with
installation instructions.
I ask that because there are many plone modules, but they arn't
necessarily in a central place, and some of their installation
instructions can be different than the normal.

> As far as I can help, what I can provide (once I've done it, of course ;-) )
> is a report on how the installation went on my specific laptop (the kind of
> things you can find on http://linux-laptop.net/ and that I found very
> usefull both when choosing the laptop to buy and then to actually install
> linux on it).

That would be very useful.
Along those lines, having a rough template of what people should include
on those laptop reports would be very nice as well.
We already have one person with a laptop installation report, so it
would be nice if the reports looked somewhat similar.

Thanks
Troy