SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:14:19 -0500
Hi Jean,
If that test fails ... the odds are quite high that your AFS isn't going to
start, or at least that was what we found.  You are the first group that had a
problem since we moved to that test.
We put that test in there, at that time in the startup script, because people
were behind firewalls, or on some private network, or basically didn't have
their network even on, and AFS would just hang.
The timeout for AFS when starting up is in minutes (I think it's 2 or 3
minutes).  And we had gotten alot of complaints from people about their AFS
just sitting there hanging.

So, I take it then that the problem is that you have the TCP port blocked, but
not the UDP port?  If you have them both blocked ... well ... then I'm curious
about how your AFS is working.

I'm up for suggestions.  But we do need some way to 'ping' the AFS servers so
that the client knows if it can safely come up without hanging.

Troy

Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am beginning with SL and found that the network test based on wget
> in /etc/init.d/afs fails with most sites, preventing afs client to
> start although it would work...
>
> For example, incoming TCP to port 7000 on the afs servers if filtered
> on the IN2P3 site. It fails on the CERN as well.
>
> Somebody noticed this also ?
>
> Should this network test be done in another manner... ?
>
> Jean-Michel BARBET.
>
> --
> Jean-michel BARBET                    | Tel: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 86
> Laboratoire SUBATECH Nantes France    | Fax: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 79
> CNRS-IN2P3/Ecole des Mines/Universite | E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468