SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
David Kinnvall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kinnvall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:13:01 +0100
Troy Dawson wrote:

> Howdy,

Hi Troy, and list,

> I have gotten the yum section done for the "How To Upgrade To The Latest
> Release".  I've also written an apt section, but I haven't tested that yet.

[openafs stuff]

> It is at
> https://plone.fnal.gov/Plone/Scientific%20Linux/sl.info/sl.about.howto/upgrade/view
>
> If you try it and it works or doesn't, let me know.

Tried it on my two SL machines with no major problems. Noticed
two minor things:

1. The upgrade of SL_inittab_change produced an error:

SL_inittab_change 100 % done 83/182
mv: cannot stat `/etc/inittab.rpmsave': No such file or directory
error: %post(SL_inittab_change-1.0-4) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

From reading the corresponding script, my guess is that the
final statement "mv /etc/inittab.rpmsave /etc/inittab.old"
should be moved inside the if/fi block, since the initial
"mv /etc/inittab /etc/inittab.rpmsave" is inside it, which
means that /etc/inittab.rpmsave is unlikely to exist unless
the if-block is triggered - as the case was for me, since I
already had the sulogin line in there.

2. The second thing is /etc/redhat-release, which after the
upgrade still contains "Scientific Linux SL release 3.0.1 (SL)"
rather than the expected "Scientific Linux SL release 3.0.2 (SL)"
and the rpm version is still at sl-release-3.0.1-9, which I
guess is not the intended result?

Apart from the above, which caused no actual problems for me,
the upgrade went smoothly, including kernel install and grub
config adjustment. After shutdown -r now the machines came up
with the new kernel without a hitch. Thanks for the great work!

Regards,

David Kinnvall