SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:00:06 +0200
Hello all,

I had installed several SL (3.02) on various machines, and
I have some questions :

First, I use openAFS with the given RPMs in SL. But for
internal reasons we want to add some options to the openAFS
configure. So I installed the corresponding SRPM and before
anything I just do
"cd /usr/src/redhat ; rpmbuild -ba SPECS/openafs-1.2.11.SL.spec".
And it fails: the configure complains about missing sys_call_table,
after a warning about the configure is for Red Hat:
configure: warning: Configured to build from a Red Hat SPEC file
configure: error: no available sys_call_table access method
Of course I copied the corresponding .config for the kernel and
do the "make dep" before that.
# uname -a
Linux XXXXX 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 12 19:06:46 CDT 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
-> /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/kernel-2.4.21-i686-smp.config

Is it a know problem ? I do something wrong ? Thank in advance
for any help.

I also have a question about 32/64 bit support...
Is it possible to install a x86_64 version (on bi-opteron) and then
install "by hand" all the i386 RPMs ? Is the final system viable ?
I made some tests for a small amount of RPMs and it seems to
work fine.
Any comments ?

At last I have a question about anaconda (I know it is not really the
good place but maybe someone can help us):
from the RHEL3/SL3, the anaconda asks for the ethernet card to use
for the installation (in kickstart mode), even if only one card is plugged
and even if the configuration in the kickstart file indicates clearly that
only the first one can be used. It is a change from the previous
distributions
as it never do that for RH72/73. I tried to see inside the anaconda sources
but it is a little bit too big for me.
Someone else met that problem ?

Thank in advance for any help/comment/documentation.

--
Yannick Perret
sysunix