SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:36:37 -0400
Hi Troy,

Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> This should be on the scientific-linux-users list and not Fermi's linux-users
> list, since you are clearly talking about S.L. 302.

Oops, indeed.  Thanks for the re-direct.

> I had an ATI Radeon 9000 on our AMD64 machine, and I couldn't get it to do 3D.
>   I tried it with both an x86_64 based install, as well as a i386 based
> install.  But it did 2D stuff well on them both.

I've since learned that the Free X driver for the 9600 doesn't do 3D
at all.  One needs (as like your nVidia) the proprietary driver from
ATI.  ATI seems to only have this available for x86.  According to
their Linux FAQ, 64 bit versions are "under development".

> I take it that Debian's driver is running on Debian.  You weren't able to just
> take their driver and put it in ours.

No, I didn't try that.  The debian-amd64 release that I'm using is
built with GCC 3.4 which has a different ABI from prior versions.
There is a GCC 3.3 based one and I can try to dig out ati_drv.o from
there.

-Brett.