SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:35:06 -0500
Hi David,
I should have something up on the web by the end of the day.  I'll also see
about incoporating CERN's document into that one.

But the short answer will be

   rpm -Uvh
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/302/i386/SL/RPMS/yum-conf-302-2.SL.noarch.rpm
   yum update yum
   yum upgrade

There are some complications if you have AFS installed, since the way kernel
modules are handled is different.  But other than that, there haven't been any
problems ... that I know of.  If you do run into problems, please let me know
so I can add them to the documentation, and so that we can get it fixed for
the next release.

Troy

David Kinnvall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Having searched the list archive but not finding anything conclusive:
>
> - Is it possible/recommended to update from SL3.0.1 to SL3.0.2
>  using yum or apt?
>
> - If so, what are the needed steps? My guess would be to either
>  adjust the relevant yum.conf by hand to point to the repo for
>  3.0.2 _or_ explicitly install/upgrade to the yum packages from
>  3.0.2 and then do the check-update/update procedure?
>
> - Any risks associated with the above?
> - Is this documented anywhere that I overlooked?
>
> I found instructions for doing the above in CERN's incarnation
> of SL at
>
> http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/updates/updates-slc3.shtml#12.07.2004
>
> which, in short, says to perform these steps, using apt:
>
> rpm -Fvh
> http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc302/i386/SL/RPMS/apt-sourceslist-302-5.cern.i386.rpm
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> apt-get install SL_startgnome_afs
> apt-get upgrade-kernel
>
> followed by a reboot. (The SL_startgnome_afs step would not be
> necessary in my case, but it's in the instruction.)
>
> Any similar procedure for Fermi's incarnation of SL?
>
> Regards,
>
> David Kinnvall

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468