SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:08:30 -0500
Hi Brett,
This should be on the scientific-linux-users list and not Fermi's linux-users
list, since you are clearly talking about S.L. 302.

I had an ATI Radeon 9000 on our AMD64 machine, and I couldn't get it to do 3D.
  I tried it with both an x86_64 based install, as well as a i386 based
install.  But it did 2D stuff well on them both.

I switched the video card to an nvidia card, and 2D worked on both.  To get 3D
I had to use NVidia's driver.  But it installed fine and 3D worked for both
types of installations.

I'm not going to recommend one video card over another, that's just what
happened with me.

I take it that Debian's driver is running on Debian.  You weren't able to just
take their driver and put it in ours.

Troy

Brett Viren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This weekend I attempted to install 302 x86_64 on a Hypersonic-pc
> Athlon64 laptop.  This has an "ATI Radeon 9600 Pro" video chip.
> Things went more or less smoothly (nice camping pics) until the reboot
> and the start of the post installation config.  The initial welcome
> screen there comes up fine but as soon as the "Next" button is pressed
> the system hangs (Caps-Lock/Num-Lock, Ctrl-Alt-BS, Ctrl-Alt-F1,
> Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt-PrntScrn-b, all unresponsive).  This happened with
> both a large custom install as well as just the basic laptop install.
>
> I found that selecting the VESA driver instead of the one matching the
> video chip let me proceed.  I didn't try any 2D or 3D intensive things
> but regular xterm/mozilla apps worked fine with this driver.  After
> getting everything going I changed back to the 9600 specific driver
> from the util available from the menu.  After restarting X things
> worked for a few seconds then hung as before.
>
> FWIW, Debian-AMD64's ati_drv.o (v4.3.0) drives the 9600 w/out trouble.
>
> Regards,
> -Brett.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468