SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:36:04 -0500
John,

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, John Rowe wrote:

> There have been a few emails to this list about device support on the
> boot disk.  I currently have two athlon-64 machines that will install
> Mandrake but not SL due to lack of SATA . I'm also due to have Xeon

What version of Mandrake worked on the athlon-64 machines.  Was this in
i386 mode?

Have you tried Scientific Linux i386 vs x86_64 on these systems?

> EMP64 and Itanium II boxes arrive this week and I'm led to believe there
> may be chipset issues there too.

Why will the Itanium II boxes have problems?

I suggest you try these before going off and making new images that you
will not need.

> So, my question is, how do I put a new kernel on the boot disk? My guess
> is:
>
> 1. Put the new vmlinuz with most things compiled-in on the first disk.
>
> 2. Generate some RPMs and put them on the appropriate disk.
>
> 3. Some other stuff I don't know about..
>
> Can anybody fill me in on the details?

Make a new site first so that you can contain all these changes.

Then make a new kernel-BOOT...rpm.  The kernel-BOOT...rpm is one of the
rpms made by kernel...src.rpm.  So you have to change kernel...src.rpm to
have your changes.  And rebuild that new kernel...src.rpm to create your
new kernel-BOOT...rpm .  Put all the new kernel rpms that come out of
kernel...src.rpm rebuild into your new site.  Rebuild the site with
build.release.site.sh .  This makes new install images, they will be
located in sites/<newsite>/images/

Or you could figure out how to add these things manually to the install
disk, not recommended.

-connie sieh