SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
John Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:00:47 +0100
There have been a few emails to this list about device support on the
boot disk.  I currently have two athlon-64 machines that will install
Mandrake but not SL due to lack of SATA . I'm also due to have Xeon
EMP64 and Itanium II boxes arrive this week and I'm led to believe there
may be chipset issues there too.

So, my question is, how do I put a new kernel on the boot disk? My guess
is:

1. Put the new vmlinuz with most things compiled-in on the first disk.

2. Generate some RPMs and put them on the appropriate disk.

3. Some other stuff I don't know about..

Can anybody fill me in on the details?

Thanks

John