SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
David Kinnvall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kinnvall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:09:04 +0100
Hi!

Having searched the list archive but not finding anything conclusive:

- Is it possible/recommended to update from SL3.0.1 to SL3.0.2
  using yum or apt?

- If so, what are the needed steps? My guess would be to either
  adjust the relevant yum.conf by hand to point to the repo for
  3.0.2 _or_ explicitly install/upgrade to the yum packages from
  3.0.2 and then do the check-update/update procedure?

- Any risks associated with the above?
- Is this documented anywhere that I overlooked?

I found instructions for doing the above in CERN's incarnation
of SL at

http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/updates/updates-slc3.shtml#12.07.2004

which, in short, says to perform these steps, using apt:

rpm -Fvh http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc302/i386/SL/RPMS/apt-sourceslist-302-5.cern.i386.rpm
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install SL_startgnome_afs
apt-get upgrade-kernel

followed by a reboot. (The SL_startgnome_afs step would not be
necessary in my case, but it's in the instruction.)

Any similar procedure for Fermi's incarnation of SL?

Regards,

David Kinnvall