SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:22:43 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>I'm up for suggestions.  But we do need some way to 'ping' the AFS servers so
>>that the client knows if it can safely come up without hanging.
>

> Adding -dynroot to the afsd options should avoid hangs as well, at least
> as long as no cell is actually accessed.
> And it should not cause any problems - unless a cell has anything in its
> root.afs volume that's not a mount point for a cell. But then, if the
> clients depend on it, they probably need AFS to work correctly at all.
>
> Cheers,
>         Stephan

Thanks for the suggestion Stephan, that works.
If no-one has any objections, we'll put that into the default options for the
openafs of S.L. 303.
I have already talked to our openafs server admins and they not only didn't
have any objections, but think it is a very good idea.

Thanks
Troy
p.s. Jean, when I get the binaries built, did you want to give them a test to
make sure they work for you.  They should have this change, as well as the
newer CellServDB in them.