SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2004

From:
John Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:01:10 -0500
On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 08:47, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 14:31, John Franks wrote:
> > One of the common issues we have as a research mathematics department is
> > how to best work from home on an office workstation. The best solution
> > we have found is vnc
> >

> Wouldn't it be easier to tunnel VNC via ssh?
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/sshvnc.html

With linux at home it would be about the same effort, but tunneling
would be more secure and hence better.

But can you do this under windows?  If so can the average user do it?

I should have mentioned that on the desktop end we use a little script
that does the commands and prompts the user for the home hostname or IP.

--
John Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Dept of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ