SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2004

From:
Raimo Koski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raimo Koski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 04:25:04 +0300
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> I believe he is talking about
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/301/i386/images/SL/boot.superduper.051004.iso

Yes, but I ass-umed quite much. I did my first multiboot CD-ROM back at
Feb. 20. 2001 (http://www.raimokoski.com/uutiset2.shtml is in Finnish,
but dates and most computer terms should be understandable to non-Finns
also). Syslinux changelog says that memdisk, which enables isolinux to
boot diskette images, appeared in version 1.65 and syslinux mailing list
(http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-January/date.html) says
that 1.66 was the newest version at that time, so 1.65 was released
after my first multiboot CD-ROM.

At that time the only way to multiboot was using mkisofs as below:
mkisofs -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot.img \
          -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-fi.img \
          -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-de.img \
        -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-fr.img \
        -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-es.img \
        -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-it.img \
        -eltorito-alt-boot -b dosutils/autoboot/cdboot-sv.img \
   -c boot.cat \
But that relied on BIOS support which wasn't always there.

> which is the install CD that Connie likes to make.  It makes it so when
> you need to burn a network install CD, you arn't just wasting a CD.
> You can boot into any of the following
>
> Scientific Linux Network Install (default)
> Scientific Linux Rescue
> Live FreeBSD
> FreeDOS
> LNX BBC
> tomsrtbt (Tom's Root Boot)
> Damn Small Linux - based on KNOPPIX
> Recovery is Possible(RIP)
> memtest86
> GRUB

I have contemplated should I add those also to Lineox, but can find good
reason only for adding Freedos to support BIOS updates and perhaps
memtest86. The normal RHEL install environment has already fsck, parted,
and all the other essentials. One can also mount / from hard disk and
chroot to it. All that requires knowledge, but so does also using any of
those small rescue boots.

> For more information you can read it at
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/301/i386/images/SL/README.superduper

>> I'm a litte confused by the thread here. Are you looking for a way to
>> have
>> many, many boot images on one CD?
>>
>> If so a good example is the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ that uses
>> http://www.cdshell.org/ to have about 30 boot images.

Good links, thanks. Got my data on the subject updated. Looks like
isolinux is all that is needed for multiboot CD.

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com/  http://www.raimokoski.com/