SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2004

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:17:42 +0200
On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 18:37, John Franks wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 11:09, Steve Traylen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Corrie Kost wrote:
> >
> > > I would tend to favour following the Redhat choices for what is loaded
> > > by the core distributions. To do otherwise would eventually cause problems.
>
> > Just to second this the absolute ideal as I see it for this is that the core
> > version be as much as possible identical to redhat. Including for instance
> > bug for bug matches even if they may be trivial to fix.
> >

> I did not expect this to be contentious and I don't feel that strongly
> if people want a "bug for bug match".

I believe that if something is really a bug which affects everybody
then we should fix it at the level of common base/common contrib area
rather than leave the fix to diverge between different Scientific Linux
sites ... (but then of course such fix shall try to minimize possible
side-effects on people who want to stay as close as possible to RHEL3)

The example bug mentioned in this thread can be fixed (I think)
without breaking any RH compatibility.

My 0.02 Euro ;-)

Jaroslaw (Jarek) [CERN Linux maintainer]