SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2004

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 09:13:43 +0200

 csieh> All of the zz's that we included are of a "general" nature.  Most fix bugs
 csieh> that any audience will need.  Also most are NOT installed by default.
 csieh> Letting the end user decide.

 csieh> The zz prefix was used for all the "fixes" that we did.  The original
 csieh> reason for zz was that the installer on the "old" releases did not have
 csieh> enough of a "requires,prereq" function and in alot of cases we needed
 csieh> these to be installed after "something".  The installer installed things
 csieh> that is did not have any special ordering in alphabetical order.  And
 csieh> "zz" is very far down the alphabet.  And if they all have the same naming
 csieh> covention it is easy to find them.  Some RPMS we fix by fixing the
 csieh> "original" rpm.  I do not like this way as much as they "fixit" rpms
 csieh> mostly because "the original was changed" and many seem to have a problem
 csieh> with that.  You also have to keep up with the change when errata come out.
 csieh> With the "fixit" rpms  the change is very contained.

Fine with me. the "zz" prefix is why I stumbled across them, nothing
more (so in a sense, they _were_ easy to spot :-). We normally still
change the original RPM or (more often) hand out the customization
things to some script to be run after install time (SUE was full of
such things).

 >> zz_desktop_tweeks-1.1-1
 >> zz_inittab_change-1.0-4
 >> zz_kernel_clean-1.0-2
 >> zz_libg2c.a_change-3.2.3-1
 >> zz_no_colorls-1.0-1
 >> zz_sendmail_accept-1.0-2
..
 csieh> These did NOT come from RHE3 they came from RedHat 9.  Same exact rpm as
 csieh> shown by diff.  If you look at the date of the rpm you will see that they
 csieh> are from the RedHat 9 time frame.  RedHat did NOT recompile them for
 csieh> RHE3 they got them from RedHat 9.  Since RedHat 9 is freely distributatble
 csieh> then I can put them in and so I did.

Of course. I just stumbled across the building machine name, and as
Troy has remarked, counted everyhing with "redhat" in the package name
as well..

 csieh> I was hoping that you would provide us with the AMD-64 and maybe itanium
 csieh> rpms as we are kind of short of development hardware in these
 csieh> areas.

These trees should be available from
http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/cel3/{ia64,amd64}
(still not finalized yet, but the IA64 stuff has been successfully
tested so far by CASPUR)

Regards
jan