SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2004

Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 04:47:34 -0500
Jarek,

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> Hi
>
> Troy Dawson wrote:
> > Looks like I missed one
> > SL_inittab_change
> >
> > any others?
>
> Troy: We have been discussing packaging yesterday and we came to a
> conclusion that we should use some common naming guidelines, alike:
>
> package-name-VERSION-RELEASE.SITE
>
> (I'll work on CERN stuff to be renamed this way)
>
> I think If you are already rebuilding all these you could rename them
> too:
>
> SL_desktop_tweeks-1.1-1 -> desktop_tweeks-1.1-1.SL
> etc .. just an idea ..
>
> As for the list below:
>
> >> SL_sendmail_accept-1.0-2.src.rpm
>
> -> this one is not installed by default , is it ?
> (we at CERN do not allow individual machines to accept
> SMTP by default ... I'm sure that there are other sites
> doing this)

NOT installed by default in Fermi Linux nor in SL.
Up to sites.  Since each site has their own comps.xml then it is always up
to the sites in the end.  The default here is only referring to the
default SL install.

> > SL_inittab_change-1.0-4.src.rpm
>
> I'm not sure what is this one doing ?

All of these are documented in the SL.releasenotes .
It disables single user mode without requiring the root password.
By default if you select single user mode via the boot loader it just
logs you as root, NO password required.  It is NOT installed by default in
SL.  It is installed by default in Fermi Linux.

> >> Are there any more rpm's that do these little tweeks that I should put
> >> in?
> >> (I'm meaning generic tweeks, not site specific tweeks)
>
> We have a modified redhat-config-securitylevel
> which adds an option for AFS client (basically
> opening afs3-callback port for incoming):
>
> Would that one be of generic interest ?

I think that would be interest.  I assume this changes the iptables to
allow for afs.

> - I think that openafs itself is also interesting
> for lot of sites: I *think* that compiling krb5 in
> (which you do as I understand) does not disturb people
> who use krb4 only (or mixed) setups  (we always have disabled
> krb5 for oa builds) ?
>
> I will repackage our apt,apt-cern and synaptic (slightly newer version
> than in SL) to have:
>
> apt packages - not including any site-specific info
> apt-autoupdate - scripts for using apt from cronjob (service
> apt-autoupdate disabled by default)
> apt-config-X.Y.SITE packages (or apt-config-site-X.Y if anybody wants
> to have more than one site config for apt)
>
> Also probably additional perl modules we provide are useful
> for others (but these shall rather go into contrib area
> I believe ?)
>
> Jarek
> __
> _ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/ADC/LE _