SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:27:41 -0400
>    any other topics people here use on a really regular
> basis that they find indispensable?  not necessarily admin level, just
> really, really handy programs.  i realize it's kind of an open-ended
> question, i'm just curious.

The thing of it is, IMHO, UNIX, and especially most Linux
distributions, give you a whole toolbox full of tools. Yeah, there are
some indispensable tools like your basic screwdrivers and wrenches,
but the neat thing is how you can hook things together, like that
ratchet, extension, universal, and socket, to do things that you would
otherwise have to visit a machine shop and get a custom tool made at
considerable expense in time and money.

The real value is in all these little command-line tools and utilities
that you can string together to make something happen.  Case in point:
the other day I decided I needed to decode and re-encode all my ogg
vorbis files. I could have spent an indeterminate number of hours
clicking and dragging 1209 files around. Instead, I spent a few
minutes to put together a little bash script that would do the job
while I tended to more productive pursuits.

bash, python, awk, grep, wget, curl, sed, ping, dig, perl, ... just a
whole tool box full o' fun :).

                                                         - Bluejay Adametz

All of us could take a lesson from the weather.  It pays
no attention to criticism.

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of
information, or information otherwise protected from disclosure by law.
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, dissemination or
distribution of this message or any of its attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately by reply email and destroy this message, including all
attachments, and any copies thereof.