SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
Andreas Petzold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andreas Petzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:24:45 +0200
        Hi,

On Thursday 25 June 2009 11:52:31 you wrote:
> We were hoping to evaluate KVM in the coming weeks. However as RHEL 5.4
> is not yet out, and it'll be a few weeks after that the Scientific Linux
>  releases 5.4, does anyone know of any easy way to go about getting KVM
> working on SL 5.3?

On SL5.3 I've downloaded KVM, built it including the kernel module and
installed the .ko in /lib/modules... and the rest in /usr/local. Since the KVM
executables are called with their full hardcoded path by some utils, I also
had to symlink the executables in /usr/bin.

After modprobing the .ko you can use virt-manager or the libvirt based utils
to manage your VMs.

I haven't had any problems with that setup.

        Cheers,

                Andreas