SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:58:40 -0500
I just wanted to second Martin's words.
We originally had Itanium because a lab or two had some Itanium clusters, but
those went away for whatever reason, and we eventually dropped support due to
nobody wanting it.

If you want numbers they are here

https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/stats/arch.html

Although the number of downloads is somewhere between 12-40, when we actually
looked through the numbers, those were usually mirror sites.

I believe someone said CentOS was an option.  This is true for CentOS 4, but I
don't see a release yet for CentOS 5.

Troy

Bly, MJ (Martin) wrote:
> Support for the Itanium IA64 architecture was dropped due to lack of
> interest in taking it on within the HEP community.  I think it is still
> possible to roll your own from the SL source but Troy/Connie would need
> to confirm that.
>
> The i386 and x86_64 variant are unlikely to work on an Itanium - the
> Itanium CPUs have a very different architecture.  However I've never
> tried that since I don't have an Itanium system.  Someone else may know
> different.
>
>         Martin.
> --
> Martin Bly
> RAL Tier1 Fabric Team

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group