SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
"Robert P. J. Day" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert P. J. Day
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:26:16 -0500
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Michael Tiernan wrote:

> On 3/10/11 6:42 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'm fascinated that you use mirroring RAID as a matter of course,
> > but consider LVM to be an advanced topic.
> >
> I too find this interesting. One of the things I love about SA is if
> you ask one question of three SAs you'll get nine answers no two of
> which are alike. :)
>
> I view LVM on the same level as basic system security. If you grok
> the core workings of security, then LVM's not too difficult for you.
>
> Let me say up front, I don't question Mr Serkez business choices, he
> knows better than I in that regard.
>
> Regarding LVM in general, in *my* opinion, if the system's running
> hardware RAID controllers, LVM is a good thing to use to allow the
> flexibility of moving partitions around and changing sizes
> dynamically. It's one more thing that makes our lives easier.

  as i mentioned, one of the primary reasons i'm going with LVM from
the start of the course is that it's the default layout with SL 6 --
you have to explicitly choose *not* to use it.  and since i consider
LVM to be a stable and mature technology, i don't see any compelling
reason to avoid it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca