SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:35:14 -0400

Depends on what you need. EPEL, for example, refuses to publish
components that would replace SL or our favorite upstream vendor's
base components, for lots of very understandable reasons. Repoforge
will, but puts them in the "extras" repository. Neither of them touch
NVidia drivers, which are historically nightmarish to maintain, and
both of them sometimes have skewed versions of related packages. (I'm
seeing an issue right now with perl-XML-SAX-* packages conflicting.)
And they disagree on they layout of some related components, so
"nagios-plugins" from one will include lots of Nagioos widgets, and in
the other repo it includes the base utilities for naigos-plugins, but
most of the actual Nagios test utilities are in individual RPM's.

So I, personally, use EPEL by default to get components most likely to
work well with SL and our favorite upstream vendor's environment, and
Repoforge to get components that would replace SL components. (I
published the last Subversion at Repoforge, in fact.)