SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:06:38 -0700
I fully realise that this is a SL list (along with the occasional
mention of RHEL, CentOS, etc.).  I currently am using X86-64 SL 7 on my
workstation.  Our primary research compute engine is using X86-64 SL 6
with MPI and Nvidia CUDA.  A colleague here refuses to allow the
migration from SL 6 to SL 7 despite my success in migrating my
workstation (with Mate as I personally dislike both Gnome 3 and KDE
Plasma having now had to use both).  Because my laptop is over 5 years
old, I acquired a new HP ZBook 15 mobile workstation, provisioned to
support a 64 bit X86-64 OS.  I was planning to install SL 7, but now
need to decide between that and OpenSUSE 13.2 or possibly, if can we
afford the licensing fee, SLES 12 or SLED 12.  I have looked at the
OpenSUSE listserve more or less equivalent to this one, and find fewer
professional threads and discussions, although it does seem considerably
better than what I recall a student showed me from Ubuntu (Debian
derivative).  I am not asking for any postings back to this list;
however, is there anyone with SL experience who also has OpenSUSE or
SLES experience?  Advice would be most appreciated.  I am going to be
installing OpenSUSE 13.2 on the new laptop, but backing off to SL 7 if
it proves unsatisfactory.  I particularly am interested in OpenSUSE in
production university or research entity environments -- not enthusiast
home use to replace, say, MS Windows or even Mac OS X.

Yasha Karant