SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 22:45:05 -0600
I built R-2.6.0 from the fedora distribution and was using it in my
SL5 systems.

Today I noticed that when yum ran, it wanted to update that version
with the old one from SL5, 2.4  . That was weird.  Why install an old
one?

After some checking, I learned that the Epoch had been set at 2 on the
RPM from the SL 5 distribution.  I've been knocking around in the RPM
building community for about 10 years and I've never been persuaded
the epoch serves a valid purpose, especially when it comes to
differentiating R-2.4 from R-2.6 or whatnot.  The Epoch only
frustrates people who are trying to stay up to date.   The Epoch is a
frustrating value in this case because so 2:2.4.1 appears to  be
newer than 0:2.6.0.

Just singing the complaining song...

--
Paul E. Johnson