SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:49:19 +0200
Hello all.

Winnie Lacesso wrote:
> Not that important since only sound but still curious...
>
> A PC work desktop running ScientificLinux 4.1 was at 2.6.9-34 & audio
> (xmms, aumix to control volume) worked great.
> aumix showed Vol, Pcm, Spkr, Line, Mic, CD, IGain, Line1, PhoneIn,
> PhoneOut & Video. xmms worked well.
> Hardware is Viglen D945GTP motherboard with
> 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
>
> Updated work PC to 2.6.9-42.0.2 - aumix now only shows Vol & IGain, and no
> sound produces - at all! xmms says it's playing - but no sound.
> system-config-soundcard says it plays test sound - but no sound.
>
> Rebooted work PC back into 2.6.9-34 - still no sound. At all.
> aumix still only shows Vol & IGain.

poweroff for few seconds instead of rebooting: should help the sound
card/BIOS to 'forget' chip settings...

also check alsamixer (probably while going to -42.0.2 all channels
got muted)

The problem is known the TUV* (we reported it last week)
and concerns some of ICH7 chipsets (Intel HD Audio: what
one finds on most of mainboards ...) -
it will be most likely fixed in next kernel upgrade.
(we are going to get test kernel hopefully fixing it
soon)

Jarek

* TUV = The Upstream Vendor ;-)
__