SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Jos van Wezel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:07:57 +0100
Which reminds me of a nice news thread in the early nineties. The
discussion started with a similar question but it turned
out the sender was someone from an 'agency' that needed a fast
way to wipe the data from the drives in seconds. Probably in case
their cover got blown. Grinding obviously takes too long. I remember
the solution that evolved was to fit bottles of acid to a hole in the
drive case. The bottle contents could be emptied with a push of a
button and destroy the drive. Up in smoke. Permanently. Not sure if
that still works with glass platters nowadays. :-)