SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Peter Stauffert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:07:21 +0100
Hello Michael,

We have a RAID6 array with 16 U320 SCSI disks, 10000 RPM, running on SL 4.2,
it works fine.
And it is fast: Write: 175MB/s Read: 210MB/s (results from bonnie test)

For my opinion, it is always a good idea to run RAID6 instead of RAID5 with
more than 10 disks.

There are no raidtools in SL 4.2, use mdadm instead.

I created this RAID6 array with the following statement:
mdadm --create /dev/md2 --verbose --chunk=64 --level=raid6 --raid-devices=16
/dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdg1
/dev/sdh1 /dev/sdi1 /dev/sdj1 /dev/sdk1 /dev/sdl1 /dev/sdm1 /dev/sdn1
/dev/sdo1 /dev/sdp1

Regards

Peter

 	Peter Stauffert
	Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH & Co. KG
		Department of Lead Discovery
		Computational Chemistry