SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 02:53:32 +1100
On 16/02/2015 2:29 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> [...]

netstat isn't the default way anymore... In fact, on some systems it
isn't even available anymore unless you include the net-tools package.

> The advantage is that no system resources are spent on processes
> not being actively in use.  Yes, it requires another mindset.  But
> those who depend on evaluating system security primarily based on
> the output of 'ps' does a fairly poor job.

So its xinetd? :)

I've done a little bit of work with Xen packages using SystemD - and to
be honest, it isn't *that* bad. If systemd is needed at all is a
different question - although we're just adding another wrapper layer
around an initscript that now gets called via systemd.

In the end, it doesn't do anything more functional than the old init
system did - just now that instead of throwing stuff in /etc/init.d, you
now have to write another file to then call the init script.

Web interfaces and other junk aside, systemd doesn't seem to do much in
the way of improvement - in fact, most features of priorities and
parallel start exist in sysvinit - but were never implemented properly
by distributions... So instead, we reinvent the wheel again...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.crc.id.au