SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 04:54:30 +0800
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> Jon Peatfield said...
>
> |If you just want to add extra packages for the install then you can do
> |that just creating an extra 'yum repo' and pointing the sl5 installer at
> |it in addition to the standard ones.
> |
> |Then either with kickstart or a semi-manual install you get to see the
> |extra rpms in all the repos you have listed - and you can specify your own
> |groupings if you care to write a suitable comps xml file...
> |
> |Any other customisations can be done by a script (for kickstart) or extra
> |packages containing the magic (if you want to support manual installs).
> |
> |I guess if you want to make custom ISOs you need to arrange to either add
> |the extra repo into existing ones, ship an extra ISO of your repo or just
> |point them at a network accessible version.
> |
> |Keeping your own repo(s) of extra packages is handy for doing yum updates
> |from later anyway so you probably need that anyway.
> |
> |What else do 'sites' offer?
>
> That's fine until you start using a different version of
> a package than the vendor uses.  Maybe there's a way around
> that in yum; I haven't really figured yum out yet.  Is there
> a *good* doc on yum out there that explains such things?

Where are the equivalent documents for SL{3,4}? I'm not sure I
understand the question, and "site" is awfully vague.

_I_ don't like adding different versions of packages than the vendor
provides as it instantly increases the maintenance burden; RH does a
fairly good job of maintaining the packages it offers, and the cloners
such as SL mostly do a good job of tracking that maintenance and of
maintaining their own additions.

As soon as one uses a different version of a package, to a greater or
lesser extent that support is negated.

Generally, and depending on budgetary and support requirements, I would
choose amongst RHEL, a RHEL clone and Fedora, or the equivalent other
distros.

Where I require a wide range of prepackaged software, I tend to use
Debian (but it's a long time since that happened on my desktop, and with
the advent of support for virtualisation that has become less likely).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait