SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2005

From:
"Niels R. Walet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels R. Walet
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:09:58 +0000
It looks that for the sake of peace in our department we will be
converting our machines from centos to scientific linux. On the surface
it looks easy, since they should be very comparable, Of course, I wonder
about the differences...
I amalso  really interested in a comparison of scientific linux with
other RHEL respins, such as centos, whitebox, XOS, ....
I note for instance, that centos already has a version of RHEL4 for i386
out. I am also interested in speed of updates, compatibility with 3rd
party RHEL packages (I use dag's repository quite a lot). Also, has
anyone tried the nosrc packages developped by duke for mathematica,
matlab, acrobat, etc?
Any information that may help me to understand potential pitfalls and
benefits would be helpful.
Niels

--
Prof. Niels R. Walet                    Phone:  +44(0)1613063693
School of Physics and Astronomy         Fax:    +44(0)1613064303