SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:53:37 -0800
After a bit of work, on-line research (not entirely from the Nvidia site
nor Nvidia documentation), I have modified the Nvidia application
created xorg.conf file to one that actually works:  a stereo 3D
application such as UCSF Chimera actually activates the 3D functionality
under SL 6x that works.

Yasha Karant

For reference, below is the content of a working Nvidia driver (not
noveau) xorg.conf (obviously, the specific Nvidia board as well as the
specific 3D display monitor may change):

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 310.32
(buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-01)  Mon Jan 14 15:51:51 PST 2013

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Layout0"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load "extmod"
     Load "dbe"
     Load "type1"
     Load "freetype"
     Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "mouse"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "kbd"
     Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
     Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Ancor Communications Inc ASUS VG236"
     HorizSync       24.0 - 140.0
     VertRefresh     50.0 - 122.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection