SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:11:17 -0500
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

> Konstantin,
>
> I do not do so deliberately -- but the mechanism I mentioned is the one
> that EL presents.  The script you provide is not part of  any "howto"
> that I can find -- and most of the time, neither my students/research
> associates or I have the time to research and develop/test such things
> unless necessary.  (In some cases, as with the current Nvidia CUDA 5
> setup, we do out of necessity.)  Thank you for the contribution.
>
> A related question:  is there a way to burn an update DVD that will
> contain the files that your script downloads and uses so that the update
> can be burned on a machine with decent network bandwidth (e.g.,
> accessing the LambaRail or whatever the current name is for this
> research backbone) and then utilized locally without accessing any
> network?  In other words, going to the repo list authorized for a
> machine -- how does one get just the updated (update) rpm (etc.) files
> that are needed and how does one organize these on the DVD image so that
> your script will use these from said DVD?

Use rsync to download the files to a directory.  Burn the files to media.
Modify the /etc/yum.repos.d/ security config file to point to the dvd.
Since rsync only downloads changed/new files then the bandwidth is less
than copying the full directory all the time.

If the local network is faster you could change the /etc/yum.repos.d/
security config file to point to your "mirror" that you created above.

-Connie Sieh