SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:30:33 -0500
Hi,

If I download the Oracle rpm for 1.8, do the necessary links in
/etc/alternatives, remove Open JDK 1.7 and make sure the enviroment
variables are correct, do I avoid crashes (or silent errors) -- to the
best of more experienced SL users' knowledge, of course?

Some of what I do depends on Java version 1.8 andI need to do something.
(On other distos, I would just do it (and did with Ubuntu), but SL7 docs
carry strong warnings about introducting conflicts.)

Thank you.

Mark Hansel
Emeritus Professor of Sociology and Criminal Justice
Minnesota State University Moorhead