SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:59:51 -0800
On 01/30/2015 10:32 AM, Brett Viren wrote:
> Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>> For example, will a
>> legally licensed MS Win application that does not run under
>> Wine/CrossOver work under Docker under SL 7 the same as it would under
>> VirtualBox with a full install of say MS Win 8.1 (soon MS Win 10)?
> Docker containers run on Linux (the kernel) so, no, if your application
> requires honest-to-badness MicroSoft Windows don't plan on using Docker.
>
>> Can one make a Docker application package on the target host (e.g., SL
>> 7) or does one need first a full install of the (virtual) base
> I don't know what "target" (host? guest?) means here.

The application, say A, runs under environment (OS) X, not environment
Y.  One wants A under Y.  The target is Y.  Can one build A under Y
using the appropriate "chunks"
from X with Docker, or does one re-build ("dockerise") A under X for
target Y?  In the first event, one only needs to be running Y; in the
second event, one needs to be running X to build for Y.

> A Docker image is a full OS (minus the kernel).  To start you write one
> line in a Dockerfile like:
>
>    FROM fedora:20
>
> and do a "docker build"
>
> You can follow up this line with additional instructions (such as "yum
> install ...") to further populate.
>
> If you have a second image that shares some portion of these
> instructions, or as you add more instructions, any prior existing
> "layer" is reused.
>

> I don't find a lot of bases for SL but there are ways to add new base
> OSes from first principles (CMS has some scripts in github) and there
> are established ones for centos.
>

> -Brett.
Presumably, any application that will run under CentOS, in particular,
CentOS 7 that is the RHEL source release for other ports, such as SL 7,
should be able to run under SL.  My understanding is that SL 7 is not
built from the actual RHEL 7 source that is used to build RHEL 7 that is
licensed for fee, but from the RHEL packaged CentOS source (CentOS now
effectively being a unit of Red Hat, a for-profit corporation) that is
used to build CentOS 7 (that, as with SL 7, is licensed for free as a
binary installable executable system that requires no building from
source per se).

Yasha