SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2015 19:37:07 -0800
On 2015-01-02 14:08, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Bob Goodwin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Only the servers are blocked from the internet since I figured they didn't
>> require a connection but now the question of time synchronization arises. In
>> fact my internet connection is derived from a satellite connection which has
>> a system delay on the order of 800 ms. I would think that would offset me
>> from the rest of the world by nearly one second if it matters ...
>
> Nahhh. Unless 'chrony' has completely mucked up the NTP spec, it deals
> with symmetrical propagation delays pretty well. It effectively
> reocords when you sent the request, when the response arrived, and
> what the server thought the time was to derive the relevant skews.

On many satellite ISP links I've heard that they are extremely asymmetrical with
regards to the link delay. In these cases downlink to the customer is satellite
and uplink is one form or other of dialup. I've no idea how frequent they are
these days. I heard of them more than a decade ago in reference to the Hughes
"stuff". NTP becomes quite inaccurate in those cases.

{^_^}   Joanne