SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:41:41 -0600
Doh! I didn't send this to the list. Sorry. Forwarding to the list this
time.

On 12/03/2013 09:16 PM, ~Stack~ wrote:
> On 12/03/2013 08:37 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> Well now. That is interesting. This is consistent even with a fresh
>>> kickstart install.
>>> $ service network restart
>>> Shutting down interface eth0:      [  OK  ]
>>> Shutting down loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
>>> Bringing up loopback interface:    [  OK  ]
>>> Bringing up interface eth0:
>>> Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present.  Check
>>> cable?  [FAILED]
>>> $ ifup eth0
>>> Determining IP information for eth0... done.
>>>
>>> Errr...what? *scratches head* What exactly is 'ifup eth0' doing that
>>> 'service network restart' isn't?
>>
>> It's running significantly later. Even dumb switches, and supported
>> network drivers, can tike time to recognize  the available MAC
>> address. This is especially the case with DHCP, which requires
>> communications all the way upstream to whatever DHCP server is in
>> place.
>
> The weird part for me is that this is after the box is booted and I have
> logged in. When I manually run 'service network restart' it fails in the
> same way _every_ time. Then as soon as I run 'ifup eth0' it works! I
> think I am going to experiment with this a bit.

Also, I have been tinkering with this a bit. In /etc/init.d/functions on
line ~536 (I have been editing a bit but I think that is right) there is
a line like this in the action function:
"$@" && success $"$STRING" || failure $"$STRING"

When I dumped out the variables it is just running './ifup eth0' but it
is on this line that everything seems to choke. What I find odd though is:
* If I run it on the command line it works. Running it as a service, it
fails. Thus I am wondering if it is an environmental variable setting?
That is my next investigation.

* If I run 'ifup eth0', get a IP, I can run 'service network restart'
and get an IP! If I run 'ifdown eth0' or reboot then the service kicks
back the error about a missing cable (which is obviously wrong).

Very very odd.