SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 13:28:42 -0600
I'm guessing this is not necessarily an SL 4.4 problem, but since
that's what I'm trying to install, I thought I'd try the question
here.

When trying to install SL 4.4 on a box with either an embedded
RAID controller or an add-on card, and having two identical
hard disks, and having configured the RAID controller to use
RAID 0 (mirrored disks), the installation process still sees
two separate disks (sda & sdb).

When the same setup is used to install Windows, Windows sees the
two disks presented as just one disk by the controller, and mirroring
takes place.

Is there some special parameter one needs to pass to the linux
installation program in order for it to recognize that the two
physical disks are hardware RAID 0 and that it should only see
one disk designation from the controller?

Thanks!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group