SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:20:00 +0100
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
> Ever since I upgraded my systems from SL5.2 to SL5.3, I have been unable to
> print correctly from these systems. Instead of getting normal output, I get a
> page of postscript commands instead. The print jobs from these SL5.3 systems
> are sent to a print server (which is SL4.7) which then sends them off to the
> various printers. Interestingly, only HP printers have this problem. We also
> have Canon printers. The jobs sent to the Canon printers come out normally.
> This must be a configuration issue..
> Everything used to work when all were SL5.2
> Does anyone know what changed and what I can do to fix it?

Apart from the upgrade of cups-1.2 to cups-1.3 you mean? :-)

Of course now an updated cups package is also an errata for sl52 etc
systems so if this broke on your upgrade from 52 to 53 going back may no
longer help...

Anyway you don't say how the clients are configured?  Do they each run a
local cupsd?  If so how do they obtain the set of printers to send to your
central server(s)?  Are they configured to do any local format
conversion/filtering before sending the jobs to the central servers?  How
do the central server(s) send the jobs to the printers?

Can you capture a pring job at various stages and find at what point it is
being classified as the wrong type?

  -- Jon