SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:44:10 +0100
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Brian McGonagill wrote:

> Anyone have any good advice for using ndiswrapper and sl4.x?

No more than what I already posted - it seems that for complete
satisfaction it's necessary to rebuild the kernel without the 4KSTACKS
option, as recently discussed on this list.  But I found a driver for
our current-favourite low-cost card (rt2500-based) which seems to work
in SL4 with the distributed kernel, despite that option.

It works great (ndiswrapper version 1.1 recommended) in SL303; initial
indications with version 1.4 are positive there too, though another
kind of card (tnet1130-based) which worked with v1.1 is causing me a
bit of hassle with v1.4 (I think I need a newer driver for it).

> I'm trying to get a Netgear MA521 PCMCIA card to work, or an
> Enterasys RoamAbout RBTBG-AW PCMCIA card to work with a loptop.

In SL303 I've generally followed the hints found in the then-current
ndiswrapper wiki:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Sometimes the driver recommended and successful has been for a
completely different *brand* of card (but of course based on the same
chipset).  Look at the PCI ID (lspci), rather than at the brand.  (I
suppose one should also read the licensing conditions which come with
such drivers!).

good luck