SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Mark Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:30:04 +0100
Art Wildman wrote:
Hi

 >Sounds like yppasswdd is not running on the client...
 >http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch30_:_Configuring_NIS
 >Daemon Errors
 >The yppasswdd daemon must be running on both the client and server for
 >password changes to work correctly. When they aren't running, you'll
 >get errors.

That is not correct, you don't need to run yppasswdd on the clients,
rpc.yppasswdd must be running on the NIS/yp master not on a yp client .
  It sounds like the above howto is wrong, if the user has a rpc.passwdd
running on the client it MAY cause this type of behavior to happen.

This is according to Managing NFS and NIS  Hal Stern O'Reilly 1992 (ISBN
  0-937175-75-7) see page 60

I have rpc.yppasswdd running on my NIS master and no other host within
the domain.

> Daemon Errors
> The yppasswdd daemon must be running on both the client and server for
> password changes to work correctly. When they aren't running, you'll get
> errors.
>
> [root@smallfry etc]# yppasswd -p nisuser
> yppasswd: yppasswdd not running on NIS master host ("bigboy").

A NIS/YP server can be either a master or a slave, you can convert a
slave server to a master by copying over the map files and then doing a
/usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m followed by a /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s ypmaster
(where ypmaster is the name of the host acting as the yp master).

Mark.
Mark Nelson - [log in to unmask]

IPPP, Department of Physics, University of Durham,
Science Laboratories, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LE
Office: +44 (0)191 334 3811, Direct Dial: +44 (0)191 334 3653

PGP Key: http://www.ippp.dur.ac.uk/~mn/pgp_key.txt
This mail is for the addressee only