SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:09:03 -0700
John Hearns wrote:
> Michael Hannon wrote:
>>

>> If you have any solid experience with Fedora, I'd appreciate hearing
>> your opinions of Fedora.  Thanks.
>>

> You also have to look at the support lifetime of Fedora.
> Yes, it gives you the latest Gnome/Evolution/whatever packages on tap in
> repositories.
> But take a for instance - I run Fedora 6 on my laptop. Fedora 7 is
> already out. How much longer will Fedora 6 be supported?
> Do you REALLY want to update those client systems that often?

Hi, John.  No, I don't really want to upgrade client systems every year.
  This is the reason that we decided not to go with Fedora when Redhat
transmogrified into Redhat Enterprise.

On the other hand, I also do not want to keep trying to satisfy these
valid-but-PIA requests for newer software.

Ideally, one could keep user data orthogonal to the Fedora (or SL)
"system" directories (i.e., so that the user data isn't touched by OS
upgrades) and do a more-or-less painless kickstart upgrade every year.

In our reality there are a number of reasons why the scheme isn't as
clean as that.  Hence, I'm trying to determine which is the lesser evil
here.  If it were to turn out that Fedora is significantly unreliable,
then no further discussion would be required: we'd just stick with SL
and do our best to satisfy the ad hoc requests as they arose.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966