SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:59:49 +0000
I'm trying to set up a PSC 1315 to work from SL 3.0.3

What I'm not clear on is, how much has SL already got for me, and how
much do I need to do for myself?

So far, the device was recognised by Kudzu and it claims to have done
the necessary, for a "PSC 1310 Series".

I've created a print queue and selected a printer driver from the
offered menu.  It calls it "PhotoSmart P1315" (which seems at least
plausible) and it has selected, from the available drivers, one called
"hpijs", which it says is "preferred".

But I can't seem to get any further.  Nothing prints yet.

Now, in the "Notes from the Linux Printing Database" associated with
the hpjis driver, it says somewhat cryptically:

 To print via USB you NEED to set up this printer with HPOJ or you
 have to use the modifed USB printer.c kernel module from the HPOJ
 web site, even if you do not want to access photo memory cards from
 the PC.

I've got the hpoj RPM installed (version is 0.90-14), but I still
can't talk to the printer.

I did a web search and found a page at linuxquestions, saying that one
should install
 libsane-hpoj
 hpoj
 hpijs

Well, the second and third seemed to be there already, so I installed
libsane-hpoj

It went on to say that one should set up the device with
"ptal-init setup"

After fiddling around a bit and finally rebooting, I now find I can
operate the scanner from XSane.

But I still don't seem to be any further with printing on it.

Meantime, the discussion on the linuxquestions page moved on to
discuss something called HPLIP.

I feel sure I'm missing some key detail.  Help, please?