SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2012

Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 07:33:21 -0500
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 12/11/12 22:14, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 08:14:41AM -0600, Robert Blair wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a system that failed to boot after the most recent kernel update.
>>> It took a while, but I eventually traced it to the initramfs not having
>>> raid1 included. I had to manually do a "mkinitrd --preload raid1" ...
>>
>> All are invited to inspect the mdadm-related code in dracut.
>>
>> Instead of running "mdadm -As" and hoping for the best, there is a maze of twisty
>> write-only shell scripts to do who knows what (there is no documentation whatsoever)
>> and they seem to get things wrong as often as they get them right.
>>
>> People who develop that kind of stuff and push it on us as "improvements" should have
>> their heads inspected. (Insult intended).
>
> I've been uncertain if I should respond to this mail or not. But I
> struggle to let such rants pass when I think this is a really an unfair
> attack.
>
> I will not respond to the technical solutions chosen by upstream
> communities or projects (mdadm, dracut, etc). But I do react to your
> claim which sounds like you think the upstream developers are clueless
> and don't care about what they do. In addition you do this on a mailing
> list which is not directly related to the upstream components which you
> criticise.
>
> All the code in this Enterprise Linux distro comes from an open source
> upstream source. There are usually upstream communities to discuss
> things with. And there are communities where you can provide patches
> fixing things you find not being in a good shape. Insightful feedback
> is always appreciated. Using the proper channels to provide feedback
> and patches can at least result in something fruitful. Like improving
> dracut.
>
> <https://dracut.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page>
>
> Throwing out such trash which you did will definitely not improve
> anything. Upstream developers do really deserve better treatment from
> us - no matter what we think of their work. And especially if they
> don't hang around on this mailing list to respond to such (intended)
> insults.
>
> So please, can we try to lift these discussions from throwing dirt
> behind peoples back to rather provide useful feedback on the right
> places? Thank you!

It's not the first time that Konstantin rants about dracut. If it were
as bad as he makes it out to be, RH would've switched to something
else. AFAIK, it's the only cross-distribution initrd management
package...

dracut does run "mdadm -As" to assemble mdraid arrays. You can also
add "rd_MD_UUID=<mdraid_uuid>" multiple times to the kernel line to
"force" dracut to assemble that(those) array(s).